10.04.2011

Advance, Yield, Advance, Yield

 Hello!  Thanks for coming!  I've got some things to share from this past weekend and what's to come!

This weekend was a conference at my church called Advance.  And the theme of it was called Yield.  So while we were thinking of advancing, we were also trying to remember to yield. I just...felt so torn! 

But seriously, it was a pretty sweet weekend.  To sum it up really quickly, we had a lot of teaching, a lot of intense prayer time, and story sharing of what God has been doing in the church this past year.  A lot of growth happened, and many have come out of really tough places in life into very loving, biblical communities to which they have contributed themselves.  It was really motivating, and I'm excited to be a part of God's work here at this church.

I also felt a lot more peace this weekend.  I was struck by how similar I felt like the Israelites in the Bible in Exodus. Look at these parallels I've observed.
  • In the Bible, the Israelites were enslaved by Egypt.
    • In January, I was concerned about what my future looked like. (Stick with me here.) 
  • The Israelites cried out to God for deliverance.  
    • I asked God for this job here in Austin.  
  • God brought the Israelites out of Egypt into the desert.
    • God brought me out here with a job in the desert. (i.e., Austin)
  •  The Israelites then freaked out that God abandoned them in the desert.
    • I then freaked out that God abandoned me in the desert. (i.e., Austin)
I shared a little before about wondering what God has in store for me down here.  I don't think I shared how much I've actually been worried about my future down here.  I've just had a lot of doubt as to what my future will look like away from Illinois.  But, after this weekend, I realized, I should have peace, because God will provide like He did before, you know?  So, I got some freakin' peace, and you should too!  Peace be with you!  (for all you Catholics :D)

Also, I want to tell you about FUSE.  FUSE is this group of 20's/30's people at my church.  I met them a few weeks ago at a little get together party they were having.  Well, after hanging with a few of them some more at Advance, I went to their small group meeting after church on Sunday for lunch.  And then we were together again later that night at our Network Rally.  And I gotta tell you...these people...I like em!  They're all rather different, but I like...I dunno.  I felt like I belonged among them.  It was the first time I really felt like I belonged in a long time.  I really can't wait to get to know them more!

Anyway....I need to sleep soon.  Sorry for the lack of media lately. I just wanted to share these things with you all, because I'm really excited about it.  Here's a few more bullet points of things goin' on...


  • I went to a Dave and Buster's this weekend.  When I was a kid, I loved that place.  Now, I'm pretty sure that's the reason America has ADD.
  • I'm going to a place called Home Slice Pizza tomorrow.  Supposedly it's awesome.  We'll see...I am from Chicagoland.
  • I asked for a pop at a Starbucks this weekend.  The girl working there looked at me like, "You know you're at an effing Starbucks, right?"  But then she got this huge smile on her face, and exclaimed, "You just called it pop.  Liek...Ohmaigawd, are you from the North?!"  Darn tootin', sister.
  • I cooked pork chops last night.  With wine.  That's right.  And it was AWESOME.  Guys...I'm getting the hang of this cooking thing!
  • Bugs keep coming up in my life.
    •  There was some bug (or 2) that looked like it/they were mutating/mating/spawning like some demon spider or something in my shower.  Freaking out, I squashed it with 8 wipings worth of toilet paper, and flushed it down the toilet.  While flushing, it crawled out of the TP, and skitted atop the water as it was being flushed down.  Pretty sure it was evil incarnate.
    • I had a dream about a Black Widow jumping on my face a few weeks ago.  Do not want.
    • We talked about bugs today at lunch at work.  Effin' gross. 
    • I had a dream last night about going through a house, and there were slimy bugs everywhere 
    • What does this all mean!?!?   Does this mean something about my childhood or something?  Or does it relate to all the bugs (errors, not creepy crawlers) I find at work? 
  • I'm starting to look for a new place to live, because G moves out back to Illinois in December.  Is it bad that one of my criteria for an apartment is if it has a racquetball court?
  • I keep playing tennis with a friend from work.  I'm like freakin' Federer or somethin'.  You should see my backhand!
  • I'm going back to Illinois this weekend for another wedding!! I'm so excited!  I may even get to visit my friends at college!! Awwww yeah!

Well that was coherent.  Anyway, off to bed.  Thanks for reading, I really appreciate you doing so!  Peace!

3 comments:

  1. I MUST have that pork recipe! Need a different way to cook it besides with cayenne and a dash of cinnamon :)

    Have fun in the paign :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bug like spider or like centipede? I'm picturing a centipede crawling around on your shoulder, around the back of your neck, investigating the back of your head...and...now I hope you see it too, Brandon. :) Glad to see you are settling in well there in Austin. Your loving pastor, Allen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're starting to feel more comfortable with where God has you right now. It's exciting :D

    ReplyDelete