6.13.2011

Church!

Note: I put links in my posts so you can get more information on what I'm doing! Sometimes, they even link to videos!  So if you see text highlighted in orange, click it! It'll be fun!

So on Sunday, I finally went to that church I've been babbling about...Gateway Church!  I drove down the Whizzer (see my post, Questing in Austin) to get there, but I arrived about 25 minutes early. My mom always taught me that you always need to arrive 3 hours early if you ever want to be on time, and my dad always taught me that you can leave an hour later than you need and everything works out.  Seeing as parents are never wrong,  I think I turned out OK with being 25 minutes.  (Love you Mom and Dad! :D )

Anyway, I walked up to the courtyard between the auditorium and the school (it's held at a middle school), and there were some people around in little groups.  I was going to approach the people on my right, but they seemed as if they were in an intense conversation, so I swerved left to avoid social awkwardness.  I approached two women, and then I met them!

They both seemed really genuine and happy to meet me!  And the one women, Karin (she's from Naperville!...I think), started to connect me to all the other people in the courtyard! I was meeting people left and right, telling them how I just moved to Austin.  I could tell that these people were a community touched by the love of Jesus.  Sure, that may sound corny to some, but seriously, I could tell that there was a love there that was really genuine and intimate. I was so emotional the whole time, I was so happy.

Honestly, a lot of the people I met...they were different.  These weren't normal church goers who were just going to church like it was on their tasklist.  They wanted to be there.  They were all ages, all different kinds of lives.  Some people dressed nicely, some didn't seem to dress as nice (not slobbish, just more casual)....it was just diverse.  It reminded me of the kind of people that Jesus loves...everyone!  It wasn't like these are "church people."

Here's what they're pamphlet says:
"Gateway is a COME AS YOU ARE kind of church. You don't have to dress up.  We don't care who you voted for in the last election. And please don't feel the need to pretend about anything.  Gateway church is a place where God meets seeking people who are far from perfect.  That means everyone is welcome, no matter where you are on your spiritual journey."

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that gets me stoked.  That love that Jesus was talking about that includes prostitutes, tax collectors, fishermen...and now today, liberals, conservatives, whites, blacks, women, men, children, drunkards, people who text in movies, the elderly, LGBTQ people, smokers, sex addicts, nuns, sports fans, illegal immigrants, punk rockers, white collar businessmen, atheists, volunteers, corrupt politicians, WoW players, bad drivers, high school teachers, gossipers...the list goes on.

I can't wait to get involved...I think this is where God wants me.  But what will it look like?  I can't wait to find out.  Will you find out with me?  I hope so :)

P.S.  Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I needed to post this, as it's been really important to me.  Thanks for reading if you actually got this far!  It means a lot that you care.  Please leave a note, even to just let me know you're reading!

P.P.S  I've a headset with a microphone now...if you want to Skype chat sometime, let me know!

14 comments:

  1. glad you found a home away from home!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon. You da man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very happy to hear that you had pretty much the exact opposite experience at a new church than what I had yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to say that you forgot nerds, but I think that is categorized under WoW fans right?

    P.S. I found out today that the guy I work with liked D & D. (Is that how it's abbreviated?) I told him I had friends that played that. In reality, I just knew I'd heard the name tossed around, and I'm not really sure who plays what. Sad panda.

    Love always, Amanda Manning
    P.P.S. Is it really always if I won't have the same name in a few months? Hmm, just thought of that. Should I change it to just "Love, Amanda Manning"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay hope you enjoy your new family down there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, whoa, whoa.
    People who text in movies? I was lead to believe that there is a special hell for people like that, Brandon...


    (...if you don't get the reference, let me know, so that I can fill you in, and not have you think I'm a terrible person... :p)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet. So glad you've found a church! And I think I actually know the church you're talking about- is it big? Are there cameras recording the pastor? If so, I've seen it on TV (my dad loves the pastor). If not, well, I'd love to hear more about it.
    Glad you're doing ok, bro :)

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't forget the hipsters! I love me some hipsters.

    That church looks pretty sweet, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a perfect place for you Brandon.I can feel your excitement!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome!!! Let me know how it goes! And I'd love to Skype with you sometime ^_^ Just let me know when you're free :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still go by my old skype name and I am usually around frequently : )
    Glad to hear you found a welcoming place that you are excited about!

    ReplyDelete
  12. im on skype too! I'll be back home by saturday where I will have full internet access again! I have been reading! Glad ur doing well! I'm so glad u found people who just as full of love as u r :)

    -Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  13. honey. i love you and i think you are right about almost everything... but i can't support god loving people who text in movies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amanda, you're funny. And yes, I did play D&D.

    Laura, I'm not sure...I'm at the satellite campus. So maybe! That'd be crazy.


    Thanks everyone for leavin' notes and stuff, I really appreciate it! Miss you all :(

    ReplyDelete